The Artist and I frequently spend quality time together, doing fun things, exploring the city, and staying at home. Here are a few highlights from 2013. There are so many good times, it is impossible to capture them all, so this is just a sneak peak 😉 I highly recommend all of these ideas! Not only do I encourage you to try all of these, but to leave your cell phones and other electronic devices, including music playing devices, in the car or at home! You will be, I hope, pleasantly surprised at what happens.
1. Midnight Madness- Late night junk food, take out, and dvds. We started this around 10pm. It is fun to stay up until the wee hours of the morning having heart to hearts. The older we get, the more influence logic has over us. Yes we need sleep or we will be tired at such and such event tomorrow. But really, you can handle it. And the sleepiness that hits around midnight makes for lots of crazy hysterical laughter that can only happen if you are exhausted. Try it. You won’t regret it!
2. Pyjama Party- Jammies, ice cream sundaes, and board games. You know, like when you had sleepovers in elementary school. Sometimes, after being the exhausted adults that we are, it is so easy to just crash in the evenings in front of the TV. I do it often. But making the effort to do a different evening activity actually makes you feel more energized, or so I have found. And it brings out conversation, rather just blank staring at the TV.
3. Indoor Camping- Big fluffy blankets and pillows in the living room, s’mores inspired treats, and candles. Need I say more?
4. Picnic in the Woods- Blanket and chairs, fried chicken, and a sunny day. We don’t have cell phones, and I find this allows us to have good conversation, really notice nature, read books, and it lets our imaginations wonder. We even watched the clouds as they changed shapes, and sometimes looked like cartoons or funny scenes.
5. Field Trip- Head to the science centre, zoo, or museum. You will learn a lot of interesting things, get some exercise while you walk around, and there is usually delicious foods at these places like funnel cakes, food trucks, and ice cream stands.
At the Botanical Gardens….of all places to look, and all the beautiful sights, he is looking at something on the ground.
6. The Classic- Dinner and a show. We get dressed up, even if we decide to go to Steak n’ Shake.
7. “Feels like a whisky night” night- The Artist used to text this to me before we were dating, implying that the 2 of us would stay up late and drink whisky. We both really like Crown Royal, so we pour the drinks, put on some oldies music, and maybe play some cards.
8. Play Date- Yes, like the kind 5 year olds have. This is a personal favourite. Do it. Do it now. We do things like go to the park, blow bubbles, play with little toys, and just be silly in general. And adding some dinosaur chicken nuggets and gummy snacks is a bonus. For example:
9. Nature Walk- It doesn’t have to be hard core, it can be relaxed. In this particular example I am wearing a skirt and flip flops!
10. Breakfast in Bed- Take turns making breakfast in be for one another! There nothing as awesome as waking up to the smell of bacon, especially if someone else is doing the cooking!
11. Cooking Together- We like to put on some music and head into the kitchen. We each take a job, and chit chat while working side by side. It is so much more enjoyable then cooking alone. Sit at the table, that is clear of clutter, light some candles, and savour the deliciousness of a home cooked meal! A regular in our household 🙂
12. Giggle Fest- Remember when you were a kid, and sleeping next to a sibling or friend at a sleepover, and instead of sleeping you stayed up all night giggling and telling jokes, and being silly? A good way to get the ball rolling with this one? Tickling.
13. Attend a Local Event. Our favourites include; fireworks, art shows, and parades.
14. A Night Away- Stay in a hotel, order pizza to your room, and watch late night cable TV in a king size bed. There is nothing more luxurious!
15. Arts and Crafts- Make things from scratch! This particular example includes a knitted headband by me, and a homemade bookshelf by the Artist! We even do home made cards for every occasion for one another 🙂
16. Embrace the Weather- Gear up, and brave the cold.
17. Real Camping- Tents, cooking over a campfire, the whole sha-bang.
18. Berry Picking- Pick your own berry patches are just a lot of fun. Sometimes they have a mini petting zoo, a shop with home made baked goods, serve ice cream, etc.! This photo is when we went with my mom.
This weekend we plan to open some Crown Royal and play cards. In the near future, we would like to see Anchorman 2, and just last night we cooked a nice dinner together. Nothing has to be extravagant. Most of the time, this stuff doesn’t cost us any money, or we have coupons, etc.
Our favourite thing to do is just spend time together ❤
Happiness is contagious ❤